What Do I Pay?
The following fees and monthly charges apply. Charges are subject to change without notice. Additional fees may apply.
APPLICATION & RESERVATION FEES
The following fees are due in full at the time of application and are required in order to reserve an apartment. We will accept payment by check, money order, cashiers check or major credit/debit card for all reservation fees.
- Application Fee: Steve Brown Apartments does not charge application fees.
- Earnest Money: $300 is due in full from each resident at the time of application and is required in order to reserve an apartment until the application process is complete. Earnest Money will be applied towards the balance of your first month’s rent, which is due at the time of your lease signing.
If the application is rejected by management the Earnest Money will be refunded in full. If the application is approved and the applicant fails to take occupancy, management will retain the Earnest Money.
MOVE IN FEES
The following fees are due prior to move in. We will accept payment by check, money order, cashiers check or major credit/debit card for all move in fees.
- First Installment: One month’s rent is due in full at the time of your lease signing. (As noted above, $300 of this payment comes from the Earnest Money that you previously paid.)
- Security Deposit: A security deposit, which is equal to one installment payment per resident, is due prior to move in.
MONTHLY RECURRING CHARGES
We will accept checks, money orders, cashiers checks, ACH payments, or online payments with major credit card for all monthly recurring charges.
- Rent Installment Payment: The monthly installment you pay is variable, per your lease agreement.
- Facilities Fee: Heat, electric, water/sewer, laundry, and Internet are included for a flat rate $50/mo., per person fee.
- Utilities: Utilities are included in your flat monthly facilities fee.
Rent and fees are due on the fifteenth of each month.
ONE TIME FEES
Additional one time fees may occur during the length of your lease, including: sublet fees, late rent payment fees, lost key/lock change fees, NSF fees from bounced checks and other potential fines as outlined in your lease.
Please note that additional third-party fees apply for all credit/debit card payments.
Are You a New Renter?
Download Our Free First Time Renters Guide!
This comprehensive First-Time Renter’s Guide will help you prepare and make smart choices as you move into your first apartment. This guide will ensure your first rental is a smart rental. Download your copy today!
For the consideration of all neighbors, cats and dogs are not allowed. Qualified service animals are always welcome without a fee.
Pet Types Allowed: Fish (Cats, dogs, birds, and small or exotic pets are not allowed.)
Steve Brown Apartments requires that each resident maintain a renters insurance policy, with a minimum limit of liability for bodily injury and property damage of $100,000, throughout the term of their lease. We also require that you name SBA Management Services as an “Additional Interested Party” on the policy.
How much does renters insurance cost?
Most policies cost less than $15 per month. This small monthly bill can protect you from accidents that could end up costing you tens of thousands of dollars in damages.
Why should I carry renters insurance?
To protect you from a variety of accidents and losses, especially the very expensive ones we see almost every year. For example, in early 2013 a resident accidentally released the fire sprinkler valve in their unit and caused $40,000 in damage to their belongings, their apartment, their neighbor’s apartment, and the common areas in their building. Fortunately, this resident had renters insurance and the damages were covered by their policy instead of out of their pocket.
What does a renters insurance policy generally cover?
- Theft, such as stolen notebook computers or a missing package from UPS, FedEx, etc.
- Damage from smoke, lightning, windstorms, or hail
- Vandalism or theft of your bike or damage to your property by a vehicle
- Water damage caused to the property and your personal items from overflowing toilets and tubs
- Liability for bodily injury to other persons
How do I get a renters insurance policy?
Simply add the policy with the company that holds your vehicle insurance, or call the insurance agent (or agency) of your choice. If you don’t have a preferred insurance provider, you’re encouraged to consider Resident Insure. All of our properties are pre-approved for coverage so you can sign up in less than five minutes. Log in to your Online Resident Portal to sign up!
Can I wait until I’ve moved in to start my coverage?
Per our lease agreement, all residents without insurance on their move in day will be added to our master policy and the charge for renters insurance coverage will be added to your account. Once we have proof of independent coverage we’ll remove you from the master policy.
Just about everything! Heat, electric, water/sewer, laundry, and wired Internet with speeds up 50 Mbps are included for a flat rate $50/mo., per person.
You’re welcome to add your own wireless router for your apartment, otherwise you’ll need an Ethernet cable to connect. Internet connectivity issues should be reported to ResTech Services at 608-663-3868.
These are the current service providers for phone and TV:
Our standard move in date each year is August 19th from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. We hope your move-in experience will be a positive one. In order to help you with your move-in arrangements, we encourage you to use this checklist.
BEFORE THE MOVE
- Please ensure that you have scheduled a time for your lease signing and your move in day with your Resident Relations Coordinator. An opportunity to schedule a move in appointment will be emailed to you in early August, when we send you complete move in details.
- Enroll in a Renter’s Insurance Policy and send us a copy of the insurance certificate.
- Be sure the total first rent installment and security deposit due for your account is paid on or before you arrive. Your keys will not be issued unless the security deposit and first month’s installment are paid in full.
- During the course of the year we are happy to accept your packages if you have them shipped to our offices. We are unable offer this service during the August move-in rush and we cannot accept packages for you before you move-in.
- If you are still in need of parking, there is a good chance we still have parking available either at your building or at a location near by. Call our offices at 608-255-7100 to secure a spot.
DAY OF THE MOVE
Standard Move in Day: Listed on your lease (typically August 19th)
Where You’ll Check In: The Steve Brown Apartments main office at 120 W. Gorham St.
- Your move in appointment will generally take less than half an hour. We’ll make sure all balances are paid and provide you with your new keys and all of the other necessities you’ll need.
- The main office lot at 120 W. Gorham St. will be open for you to park in during your appointment or while working with our staff. Please do not leave your vehicle in the lot for extended periods of time as a courtesy to all residents.
- We will be inspecting your apartment before you arrive, but we may not have time to return the apartment to our high standards. We will notify you of any repairs that are outstanding when you come to pick up your keys.
- Please fill out your move-in inspection sheet right away. This form is to protect your security deposit. Write down any problems at the beginning, and return the form within 10 days to help avoid charges at the end of your lease!
- Please make sure all of your keys work and your doors and windows at ground level or off of a fire escape have working locks. If there are problems please let us know immediately.
About Your Apartment
Here is some additional information to help you once you’re settled in:
POLICIES AND GUIDELINES
- You are responsible for providing light bulbs for all fixtures, batteries for your smoke detector and fuses for your fuse box.
- It is recommended that you have a plunger for your toilet and hair traps for shower drains. You are responsible for maintaining free running drains. Please do not flush anything other than toilet paper.
- Please don’t overload your electrical outlets. This practice causes fuses and circuit breakers to blow, and in some cases can cause fire.
- You must keep the hallways in the buildings common areas clear to keep other residents safe.
- Be a good neighbor. If you see something suspicious please report it to the authorities or to us. Also make sure you don’t prop open security locked building entrances.
- If you leave your apartment unattended for more than a day or two please take these precautions: In the summer, turn off the A/C. In the winter, set your heat to at least 60 degrees so the pipes won’t freeze. Always lock all doors and windows and remove any trash.
- Trash should be taken to the provided dumpster on a regular basis. Please do not leave trash in the hallway or grounds. You will be fined if you are doing so.
- Recycling is mandatory in Madison. This is done by a private company which uses single stream (mixed) recycling. You do not need to sort recyclables. Please visit the city’s website for complete details on what items you may recycle.
MAINTENANCE AND EMERGENCY PROCEDURES
- Non-Emergency Maintenance: Non-emergency maintenance requests can be completed online using our Online Resident Portal, or you can reach us by phone during normal business hours.
- Emergency Maintenance: If the emergency happens during our normal business hours, please call our offices immediately. If emergency maintenance is needed when our offices are closed, call 608-283-3133.
- Critical Emergencies: If you experience a critical emergency such as a fire or gas leak, call the appropriate authority first: Police and fire, call 911. Gas or electricity emergency, call MGE at 608-252-7111. After the authorities have been notified please also call our offices or emergency maintenance line, 608-383-3133.
Ready to Reserve Your Spot?
Get started right now
Apply for an apartment at The Abbie using our convenient online application process. Register to join our Online Resident Portal, then fill out your application form. We’ll rush your lease to you right away!Apply Now